You’ll need to fly to Padang Airport in Sumatra, Indonesia.
Arriving Before Your Trip Start Date
We provide transportation from the airport no matter when you arrive or depart. We will also reserve a hotel room for you and arrange for you to pay when you arrive. Just let us know before-hand and we will set this up for you.
Arriving to Padang
Arriving, Luggage & Bags
Once you collect your luggage at the airport our team will be waiting to greet you with a Macaronis Resort sign outside of luggage claim. Our staff will get you on your way and answer any questions you have. If you need wifi in the van, just ask! We will take care of all your big luggage and board bags, but it is best you keep your small bags and valuables with you. Now, just relax and enjoy your trip!
All paper currency in Padang and at the resort is in Indonesia Rupiah (IDR). To get local cash, if you have just arrived to Indonesia, use the ATM at the airport or ask the driver to stop at an ATM. The resort accepts credit card payment (Visa and Mastercard only) for resort tabs but we recommend guests bring some local cash in case you wish to purchase local souvenirs or items on the ferry.
• Currency: Indonesia Rupiah (Rp. / ID
• $1 AUD = approx. 10,000 Rp. (as a guide)
Food In Padang
Breakfast (Makan Pagi / Sarapan)
• If you have stayed the night in a hotel – Served at your hotel (included in price)
• If you have arrived on an early flight – Hotel buffet breakfast- Approx 80,000 Rp. ($8 AUD)
Lunch (Makan Siang):
• Padang Food! Ask our staff, your hotel staff or explore on your own
Dinner (Makan Malam):
• We will provide water and a hot dinner to take to your cabin on the ferry
Delicious Padang Dishes include; Rendang (a spicy meat stew), Soto Padang (crispy beef in spicy soup), Beef Sate (satay in curry sauce served with Ketupat rice), Dendeng (thin sliced spicy beef fried or grilled), Gulai Ayam (coconut curried chicken), Pergedel (delicious potato cake), Ayam Bumbu (fried chicken with mild spices, Sayuran (vegetables).
Transportation in Padang
- Bluebird Taxi is the best taxi service – look for the blue cab, avoid the other colors to avoid a rip-off.
- Catch a pimped out community van! Wave down the funky (orange) vans on the street. Hotel to markets should cost no more than 2,000 Rp. – 5,000 Rp.
What to Do in Padang
- Visit the local markets for souvenirs and a fun cultural experience
- Shop in the plaza for souvenirs
- Walk to the beach for sunset drinks
You will be taking the Ambu Ambu overnight ferry to the Mentawai islands in a private A/C sleeping cabin on the Tuesday or Saturday night that you arrive and begin your trip. You will be crossing the Sumatran
Strait, approximately 120km. Your large bags will be stored below, so keep in mind items you may need for the crossing such as a toothbrush and sleeping attire. Water can be purchased as you board the ferry and a water bottle will also be provided to you along with a meal.
- Guests will be picked up in Padang to go to the ferry no later than 3:00pm
- The ferry departs at 5:00pm and travel time is approx. 14hrs
- You will have an air conditioned cabin and be shown to your cabin once on board
- Dinner, water, toilet paper & clean blankets will be provided on the ferry
- The ferry arrives in Sikakap at 7:00am the following morning
- Macaronis Resort speedboat will be at Sikakap to pick up guests and transfer to resort (1.5hr travel time)
- Do not worry about Surfboard bags, our staff will take care of them for you at the dock in Sikakap and transfer them to the resort.
Arriving to the Resort
Welcome to Paradise! Breakfast will be ready for you at the resort when you arrive. The ferry you came out on will be heading back to Padang the same evening and guests at the resort will be packing up and getting ready to catch it. Departing guests are asked to check out of their rooms by 10:00am – Arriving guests may be checked-in right away or may need to wait until their room has been prepared, at the very latest check-in will be at 1:00pm.